Bit more work done on the Fatboy.
While I’m waiting for Outer West Sandblasting to finish everything (the fatboy and the VL parts) I got carried away and tidied up the wiring (yes Mark, solder not connectors ), got the headlight sorted and working, took bloody ages – turns out it helps if you earth it drowned everything that needed it in red loctite oh and found an awesome carby return spring mount (see pic).
Slowly but shortly, hopefully it’ll all be done and back on the road within the next 7 to 10 days.
Suzuki gone, Now it’s a Harley
Or part thereof 😉
Just started respraying the bike, it’s now a deep blue metallic with the beginnings of a Gitana/Flamenco dancer on the tank, with the Cross of Asturias (Cruz de la Victoria) on the rear guard. I knew it wouldn’t take long before I decided to change the old paint job 😛
Didn’t like it – starting again 2-1-11
Just gotta add the faces and a few tiny touchups and this is done.
FIN – FINISHED – YAH-BLOODY-HOO
Surprise Surprise – well I am at least. . .
It just struck me as I sit here listening to Diva (Chilean prog/rock/folk band), that I’ve now owned the XVS1100 for 18 months, painted it four times, swapped the bars around so many times I’ve lost count, put the sissy bar on, take the sissy bar off you get the drift 🙂
This is it in its current form, but thinking of NEW paint 😉
Photos and more of the Vulcan
Spent the last few days going through the Vulcan like a dose of the clap and to be honest it’s a little shabbier than first thought but in saying that it’s nothing I can’t fix providing my back don’t give out 😉
Right so what have I done? Drained the oil and replaced it along with the oil screen and filter with new stuff, ripped off the “ears” but after pricing the necessary bits to set it up with K&N’s I decided to stick the “ears” back on (well I’ll do that tomorrow) – this is becoming a nightmare for spare parts costs.
Yahoo It Starts!!
It didn’t take me long, but I’ve torn the VN down ready for a respray and full service. Starting on the service bits, I’ve had to order a new Oil Screen as the original was all but non-existent, 2 new Air Filters as they were in the same state, a Water Temp Sensor as the original was broken, along with associated oils, filters, plugs, etc.
While I’m waiting for them to come in, I’ve found an exhaust shop that will make the necessary mods to the left hand (rear) head pipe to shoot it across and under the bike so it exits on the right hand side and MCAS have in stock baffled slash cuts that are supposed to be replacement slip-ons for a Harleys and the like but they’ll do. I did get quoted $1,300 for a complete custom system, doing it this way will see the grand total for the system coming in at $160 to $180 INCLUDING the mufflers which are 60 bux each.
So as for the tins? Well the plastic 😉 side covers have been sanded down, and the tank has been stripped to bare metal which has revealed two minor repairs not the one that I thought so they’ve been pulled out a bit and bogged or bondo’ed or whatever ya wanna call it up and it’s now sitting in the shed in the cold waiting ’til tomorrow when I hope we’ll see a touch of sunshine and I’ll then attack it with etch primer, undercoat, spray putty, block it as flat as glass another coat of undercoat and she’ll be ready to paint. The colour? Well it’s a deep copper bronze I’m putting old school flames up the side in transparent brown over yellow, then I’m going to cover the lot in red pearl. After that’s all dried it’ll get blocked down with 1200 and I’m going to air brush the club centre patch (cross and three nails) on the top of the tank, clear it all, and leave it all for a good few days to rock hard, block with soap n superfine then buff it mwooohahahahaha what fun.
Watch this space [ ]
A new toy spelt TORTURE!! – Part Four
Pain, Pain and MORE Pain!!! My back is killing me, as is my shoulder – bloody old age so all I managed to get sorted today was covering the bits in stop putty and making up a missing bracket.
A new toy spelt TORTURE!! – Part Two
Well the freezing weather and wind kept the working speed slow but the plastics are close to ready to undercoat.
The previous entry showed the upper fairing half missing the indicator mounts and a thin section which thanks to Tupperware, has now been replaced. Why Tupperware? Well I was looking for something that would be fairly solid but flexible at the same time. I spied an old container that the boss used for feeding the birds sitting on the BBQ – it didn’t take me too long to see that the rolled edge was oh so close to what was needed, all it required was a tiny bit of modifying as you can see from the photos.
A new toy spelt TORTURE!! – Part One
Bought myself a 1988 CBR1000F Honda for the princely sum of $1,200 — ooooooh bargain!!!!!!
What I plan on doing, is changing it from its bog stock ‘orrible red n white to a more eye catching pearl red over prussian blue BUT before that can happen it needs a few odds and sods sorted out.
Anyhoo over the next few days/weeks I’ll be adding bits on how I went about fixing things along with what I used e.g. home made playdoh to make molds for the broken right indicator mounts 😛